Built out by 1940, and the floors prove it
The Glebe has one of the cleanest build-out records in Ottawa. St Andrew’s subdivided the land east of Bank in 1890, the Bank Street streetcar opened in June 1891 and made it commutable, sandy fill was moved in 1902 to make Second and Third Avenue buildable, and by 1931 the neighbourhood was down to 298 vacant lots and by 1941 to 152. In other words, essentially everything here is pre-1940. What that means underfoot is Victorian and Edwardian brick semi-detached and detached houses on narrow lots, with strip hardwood over a nailed plank subfloor laid across sawn joists. Heritage conservation designation on the Clemow and Monkland streets actively limits teardowns, so the stock stays old rather than being progressively replaced.